* One in six people worldwide (1.1 billion people) remain without access to safe water
* 2.6 billion people lack basic sanitation
* This causes exposure to disease such as malaria, cholera, dysentery and typhoid
* Over 2.2 million children die every year of water-related diseases
* Water ‘poverty’ affects most poor people, but women are often the worst affected
* Women and girls in some regions spend as many as seven hours a day trekking for water that often isn't fit to drink
* At any given time, close to half of all people in developing countries are suffering from a health problem caused by lack of access to clean water and sanitation.